Thursday, January 15, 2009

Slow Cooker Chocolate Cake

Today one of the guys I work with was moving to another shift. He wasn't very happy about it so I decided to make him a cake.
I've been thinking about making a cake in the slow cooker since I discovered this is possible. I simply used a chocolate cake mix and cooked it on the slow cooker but it was really interesting and the house smelt fantastic!




Chocolate Cake

2 boxes cake mix (I have a 6L slow cooker so went double quantities)
3 eggs
Oil and water as back of packet.

Sprayed slow cooker pot with oil and placed two strips of greaseproof paper to make a cross to lift the cake out with also lined the bottom of pot with greaseproof paper and sprayed everything with oil again, (panicking about things sticking, moi? surely not!)

Mixed all ingredients up in a bowl with electric mixer as cake box instructions.
Pour into pot.

Cooked on High for 3 hours with lid venting with a chopstick to stop condensation.

Cake came out a bit burnt at the back, I think next time I would cook on high or 2 hours then turn down to low. I trimed burnt crust and it was fine.

Turn out on wire rack and cool

Ice with Cake mix Icing!!!!! Lick bowl.


Cake went down a storm at work!
Was lovely and moist in the middle with slightly hardened crust.
I liked baking in the slow cooker but next time will keep watch and adjust temperature (I'm on Nightshift so I went for a nap while it cooked and set my alarm).
I think this is the first time I've ever baked alone! I always did it with friends or family to help before! Does that mean I'm a grown up?



2 comments:

Suzer said...

Have you checked out the crockpot blog...A Year of Crockpotting. There's a link on my blog; loads of great ideas.

boozy.susie said...

yes I have seen that blog, she seems to be turning her recipes into a cookbook now.