Saturday, May 30, 2009

Love In The Time of Cholera

I've just finished Love in the Time of Cholera and wonder why I persist with books I don't like?

This is the second book this year that has made me feel so uncomfortabke that I've had to put it down and do something else when I get to really nasty bits. (the first was the Kite Runner)They were both Bookcrossing Bookrings, which might be why I struggled on but relly I have to learn to just give up and put it down.

Love in the time of Cholera is set in the Carribien, Although It doesn't mention this for the first 50 pages or so and perhaps I took an instant dislike to the book because it didn't lay the scene. At firt I thought it was set in Paris then maybe Spain then maybe south America, finally it mentions in passing the country.

It's a story of two young lovers Fermina Daza and Florentino Ariza, who have a brief but passionate courtship, Fermina Daza breaks it off and moves on with her life to marry Dr Juvenal Urbino, but Florentino is lost to his first love, he has a serries of affairs while he waits for Dr Juvenal Urbino to Die so he can woo Fermina again in old age.

It is a well written book, but not only is it slow going but it also seems rushed like the Author doesn't have time to finish off minor characters or tie up loose ends.

Simply I can say this is not the book for me.

No comments: