Thursday, July 15, 2010

Kedgeree


When I first came to Adelaide I lived with the Boy and his parents., To say thank you for putting me up I decided to cook a Traditional Scottish tea, Kedgeree.

I love the Flavours, Colours and textures of Kedgeree, It’s a dish that when set on the table back home, you could promise we were wiping out the bowl at the end of the meal!

I headed up to the Fishmonger up in Blackwood and asked for Smoked Haddock, The Fishmonger looked at me as if I was insane and said “Ha-D-ock?” yes “Haddock!” “Ha-D-ock? No, Not heard of that one” I was flummoxed, I hadn’t been long in Australia and I hadn’t figured out, different hemisphere, different Fish! I bought some smoked cod that day and made not too bad a Kedgeree (nowhere near as good as Mum’s obviously) The boys Parents were delighted.


Could hardly believe my eyes when earlier last week I was passing Fish out of Water on King William Rd and saw Smoked Haddock, from the Harris Smokehouse, How could I resist?

The best Recipe I have seen for Kedgeree is in a Jamie Oliver book, but I don’t have that book and can’t remember the name. This time I used a Recipe from “The Breakfast Book” by Dianna Troy as a guideline.

240g cooked flaked smoked Haddock
240g cooked Rice
2 small onion (I used half an onion)
2tsp Turmeric (I used a small shake)
1 tsp Curry Powder
Juice of one Lemon (Skipped it, had none)
120g butter, (used a little bit to fry onion, not much and probably should have used less)
2 hard boiled Eggs (I used 3)


First I cooked my Fish, The only way I know how, Simmer it gently in milk.


Put the Eggs on to boil, and cook the rice.
Fry of the onion, gently over a low heat until translucent stir through the curry powder and Turmeric


Flake fish and stir through onion, stir through the same amount of Rice, Peal Egg Roughly chop and Add,


I add a good handful of Parsley and Coriander, The Coriander goes very well.


Finally serve with Lashings of Tomato Sauce on the side! The ultimate accompaniment.
This tastes of home and childhood, happy memories and family, what could be better.

3 comments:

Mum said...

BETTER than Mum's I think!

Unknown said...

the comment above is the best comment i have ever seen on any site for sure. it made me smile quite muchly.

a'mato sauce is wot makes it. curry is a new invention to kedgeree which wasn't seen in my childhood. rice. fish. eggs. peas. full. stop. now onions and sultana's (nice! .. if you do it like risotto..) are allowed. and curry. BETTER than mums? i doubt it. a'mato sauce is the secret.

The Foodologist said...

That Kedgeree looks lovely and I havent really seen it here but used to eat it a bit in the UK.

Will have to try this out for myself methinks.

Also, I'm so glad Richard Harris started up again after selling Springs. He certainly makes some of the best smoked fish products I have ever tried.