Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Lamb Rogan Josh

Ok as I'm atempting to keep track of recipes that work,
I cooked this today and it came out tasty!
It's from Bowl Food I cycled down to the Indian Spice Centre on Goodwood Rd. They have really cheep bulk spices and so many amazing things it was hard to stick to the shopping list.

Rogan Josh
1kg bonned leg of lamb
1 tbs ghee or oil
2 onions chopped
1/2 cup plain yoghurt
1tsp chilli powder
1tbs ground corriander
2tsp ground cumin
1tsp ground cardamom
1/2tsp ground cloves
1tsp ground turmeric
3 cloves garlic crushed
1tbs grated fresh ginger
400g crushed tomato
30g Slivered almonds

1. Chop Lamb into 1 in cubes trim off excess fat.

2.Heat oil in large pan, Cook onion for 5 min until soft.
Add yoghurt, spices, garlic, ginger, tin of tomato and 1 tsp salt, simmer for 5 min

3 Add lamb, stir well till all coated. cook over low heat for 1-1.5 hours until meat is tender (my meat was quite fatty so seemed to take a while to become tender, I cooked for 3.5 hours) Remove lid and simmer until liquid thickens.

4.Toast some almonds to sprinkle over the top.


This was a nice spicy-ness for me,
the recipe also said to add 1 tsp garm masala once cooking finished mixing well and serve with almonds and fresh corriander, but I abandoned the recipe and just served it with the almonds.

1 comment:

Suzer said...

It sounds good, and easy. I didn't know you could use oil instead of ghee. Is ghee like a shortening? I've discovered recently thay lamb is my favourite meat (aside from bacon perhaps) so keen on any lamb recipes. Will definitely try this one!